The world of precision shooting is becoming more accessible than any time in history. With the gap between custom rifles and factory built ones narrowing and the barrier of entry being lowered daily thanks to some amazing guns like the Ruger Precision Rifle and Bergara rifles, we are seeing more and more shooters enter the world of long range precision shooting and it is awesome!
But with the entry level rifles making such massive strides lately, are we seeing similar gains in mid-level guns? If the Masterpiece Arms BA rifle is any indication of that, then I would answer with a resounding HELL YES! So let’s get into my review of what is now my favorite bolt action on the market today. My 6.5 Creedmoor MPA 6.5 BA.
In the world of long range rifles, I ‘ve owned a Remington 700 SPS in a chassis, a Bergara B-14 BMP, and now the MPA BA. I’ve also had the privilege to shoot many other bolt guns as well. From Tikka to Proof Research. And I can definitely say that this rifle is by far my favorite to shoot right out of the box. The features are amazing, the value is right up there with the best of them, and did I mention that it shoots like a dream?! MPA boasts a 3/8” 3-shot group guarantee from the factory. That alone should tell you that this is a serious rifle with some real effort put into its development.
Incredibly accurate, right out of the box
This rifle is a blast to shoot. On day 1 I set mine up with a Sig Tango6 5-30x56mm scope, Accu-Tac bipod, and an AAC 7.62-SD suppressor. And damn did this thing shoot! Super smooth action, great feeling bolt, TriggerTech trigger that felt perfect and almost no recoil in 6.5CM.
After zeroing this beast, my first 5 shot group with factory ammo was 0.249” at 100y. Pretty awesome from a factory gun on factory ammo. (I was shooting Federal Gold Medal Berger 6.5CM) This rifle preforms so beautifully that it quickly becomes boring under 300y as you effortlessly stack round after round on top of each other.
The rifle isn’t cheap, but neither is it a full custom from Proof. At $2840 this rifle isn’t cheap, but it definitely isn’t out of reach for the average shooter who totes around five or six AR’s these days. Is it worth the money? Again, HELL YES. IMHO, this rifle is worth every cent. I cannot imagine anyone going with this gun and being disappointed in their purchase.
So before you snag another 3 AR’s and a Ruger Precision, I would urge you to take a look at this video from MPA, read the features below, and consider purchasing a real Masterpiece of a rifle!
Scroll down the page for the full breakdown of features straight from MPA.
- Curtis Custom Axiom
- Wire EDM Bolt Lug Raceways
- 3 Lug Head
- 60 Degree Bolt Throw
- Rollerball tipped cocking piece to reduce drag
- Quick Release Firing Pin Assembly Removal System (Tool Less)
- Recoil Lugs Ground to .0001″ Flatness and Parallelism
- One Piece Design of the Bolt, Lugs and Handle
- CNC OD Ground on All critical features and dimensions
- Spiral Fluting on all Bolts
- All Bolts are Hand Lapped and Fitted to each individual action
- DLC Coated
- Mini 16 Extractor
- Spencer/MPA Rifle Barrel
- 416RQ Stainless Steel
- Precision Gun Drilled, Reamed and Honed
- Pull Button Rifled
- Stress Relieved
- Hand Lapped
- Bore and Land Inspected on Video Borescope
- Sheffield Air Gage Inspection to .0001″ on Bore and Rifle Land Variation
- Chamber is indicated within .0001″ or less – to the bore of the rifle
Chassis – BA Competition Chassis
- Masterpiece Arms Tactical Chassis System
- Produced from 6061 Aluminum
- V-Bedding System with Additional clearance for Glass Bedding Action and Straight Section of Barrel
- MPA Buttstock with Adjustable Cheek Riser, Length of Pull
- Bag Rider
- Trinity Rail
- Night Vision Bridge
- Lower mounted Picatinny Rail
- 20 MOA Scope Rail
- Cerakote Finish – Multiple Colors Available
- User Locate-able Barricade stop system compatible (Barricade Stop Included)
- Built In Bubble Level
- Enhanced Vertical Grip
- Thumb Notch
- R.A.T. System Compatible
MPA Muzzle Brake
- MPA Premium Muzzle Brake
- Direct Thread Attachment, User index-able (5/8-24 TPI)
- Trigger Tech
- 3/8″ MOA (3 shot group)
- Plano Basic Rifle Case
- Chassis Weight – 5.2 lbs
- Rifle Weight – 12.5 lbs (no mag or optic, 24″ Sendero Barrel Profile)
- Barrel Twist – 1:8 (other twist rates available)
- Barrel Length – 24″ Standard
- Barrel Muzzle Thread – 5/8-24 TPI
- Barrel Profile – Sendero Profile (others available)
- Monopod – Included
- Barrier Stop – Compatible
- Front Bridge – Removable (Included)
- Coating – Cerakote
- Length of Pull – 13.75-15″
- Trigger – Trigger Tech
- Trigger Pull – 1-3 lbs.
- Magazine: AICS Type Magazine